Sunday, January 29, 2006

The end of civilization has happened too many times already for me too add on. Still, if I were to add some evidence, this would be the first place I'd look:

Bling H2O, of Beverly Hills, is the inspiration of Kevin G. Boyd, a Hollywood writer-producer. While working on various studio lots where image is, well, everything, he noticed that you could tell a lot about a person by the bottled water he/she carried.

Bling Water. No, really. It's Bling Water.
Here's the fun part:
His mission was to offer a product with an exquisite face, to match the exquisite taste of his target customer...and at $38.00 a bottle, that target customer shops on Rodeo Drive. The product is strategically positioned to target the expanding super-luxury consumer market.
So, $40 for a bottle of water, simply for the status of having a $40 bottle of water. I guess my re-used Diet Coke bottle is going to look rather passé.

2 Comments:

Blogger carla rae said...

justin -- i was just reading an article on salon.com and tried to imagine what sarcastic comment you would make. here's the link (you might have to watch an ad to read the whole thing)
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/02/02/baby_luxury_backlash/

$400 cashmere hoodies for babies? russian language classes for toddlers? if only my parents had bought me that $900 stroller, who knows where i would be now . . .

9:20 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

At the least, you'd be able to sell your $900 stroller and pay for more schooling :)

It's good to know there's a backlash going on against some of this stuff. I remember the good old days when "spoiling a kid" meant giving him two cookies instead of one after lunch.

Still, I guess it never hurts to be in perspective. Someone always will have more money than me, and I'll always have more money than someone else. To some, disposable diapers are a sign of having too much money and not enough patience. Still, at least plastic is pratical. I was raised on cloth, which is probably too much information for anyone right now. Sorry.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home